Thursday 31 January 2013

Escape



Parksville. A town with a park. A parky village.

Okay, first of all, who’d want to live in a town named after a friggin’ park? I don’t. Apparently the stupid place was nominally induced with that name because of a guy named Parks. He founded the town, or found it, or was the first person to live here… It really doesn’t matter to me, because, well, I don’t care. It would make a lot more sense if Parksville was named after the park that seems to be its only slightly interesting attraction. It’s the only reason anyone ever comes here.

Sure, having a really nice park is good for a place with lots of kids and tourists (and of course, the never forgotten tourists with kids). But have you looked at the statistics? Have you noticed how many old people we have? Why is the only identifying place a freaking park? IT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE!!!!!

All these thoughts ran through my head as I gazed upon the ‘AMAZING, HEY, GUYS, THE TOWN WAS NAMED AFTER THIS’ park. With clouds in the sky and a heavy downpour drenching the area, the place was deserted. Except for me. I was sitting on a bench, despairing over the bipolar weather and contemplating my future.

How was I ever going to escape this place? Everything seemed so small- so… insignificant. I wanted the big city, the Metro, the malls, the noise, the people… everything you didn’t get in my town. I needed to get out, to see the world. But I was stuck. Stuck until I graduated and could get off this stinking island. Graduation could not come quickly enough.

This tourist town wasn’t big enough for me. I needed space. I needed my own life.

The only thing this place gave me was a bad headache.

But it was scary. Taking those steps, moving away- those are big decisions that are frightening to make. It seems easier to just, go to VIU or UVIC, stay at home and work, or even to get a place and get used to living by yourself. I’d contemplated those paths too. I knew myself too well, though.

If I stay I’ll get stuck.

I would never leave. I need to leave. I need to run away and find myself and travel and…

I’m going to get out of this place if it’s the last thing I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment